Mini Market Tote :: a tutorial
A few weeks ago, I mentioned the possibility of a tutorial for my market tote, a bit late :p but I finally managed to put it together – my first tutorial in 2010 – an adorable mini market tote^0^
- Outer fabric I (I used a bicycle fabric, cotton & linen blend)
- Outer fabric II (I used red, purple and cream coloured stripes)
- Lining fabric (I used sky blue and white checks)
- Sew-in interfacing (I used bamboo batting)- you can use iron-on interfacing if you prefer
- Twill tape, 2 strips, 15″ each
- 2 small buttons
Fabric cutting instructions:
Take note when using directional prints – all measurements read height x width
- Outer fabric I:
- Cut 2 pieces 9″ x 10 3/4″ (Piece A & B in the photo below) for body
- Outer fabric II:
- Cut 1 piece 8.5″ x 10 3/4″ (Piece C) for body
- Cut 2 strips 15″ x 1 1/4″ for straps (Strip F & G)
- Cut 1 piece 8 1/2″ x 5 1/2″ (Piece D) for pocket
- Lining fabric:
- Cut 1 piece 25 1/2″ x 10 3/4″ for lining
- Sew-in interfacing:
- Cut 1 piece 4″ x 5″ (Piece H) for pocket
- Cut 1 piece 25″ x 10 1/4″ (Piece I) for body
Seam allowance: 1/4″
Step 1: Strap
Step 2: Pocket
Step 3: Outer fabrics
Pin fabric piece A and C right side together and stitch the width edge (shown by the brown line). Do the same with fabric B and the other edge of fabric C. If you are using directional prints, note that C is the bottom of the tote.
Step 4: Lining
Step 5: Putting things together
Pin lining and outer fabric right side together (don’t forget the straps* – see next picture), stitch the two shorter edges (shown by the brown line – sorry I couldn’t fit both ends into the picture).
*When pinning strap in place, the two ends should be 3 3/4″ apart. Also note that the the right side of the strap is to face the right side of the outer fabric. Please leave about 3/4″ of the strap extruding like the picture below.
Step 6: DONE!!!
Quite a long post! I hope these instructions are clear!
And I hope you like this tutorial!! ^_^
Thank you very much for reading!!!